RSNA Radiology Reporting Initiative
The RSNA has established a Radiology Reporting Committee to identify and promote "best practices" in radiology reporting. The Committee, part of the Radiology Informatics Committee, includes radiologists and imaging informatics experts. The Reporting Committee is closely linked to RSNA's Quality Improvement Committee and RadLex® Steering Committee.
Download the New Radiology Report Templates
The RSNA Reporting Committee is pleased to announce the availability of over 100 best-practices radiology report templates. We hope you will take the time to download and review these templates for use in your practice, and to encourage your colleagues to do the same.
Stay Informed: Join the RSNA Reporting Forum
If you are interested in receiving periodic updates on the activities of the RSNA Reporting initiative, please join the RSNA Reporting Forum.
- Towards best practices in radiology reporting, a committee position paper
- A brief article in the Quantitative Imaging Biomarkers Alliance (QIBA) Quarterly newsletter
- June 2008: RSNA convened a workshop to plan the future of radiology reporting. More than 50 radiologists, medical informatics specialists, and representatives of cardiology, oncology, and pathology participated. Consensus was reached on a global template for diagnostic radiology reports, including standardized radiology report headings.
- November 2008: In conjunction with the RSNA Quality Improvement Committee, developed a standardized template for documenting communication of critical test results.
- March 2009: Formed 13 subcommittees to create templates for specific clinical areas in collaboration with subspecialty professional organizations.
- May 2009: Conducted an industry forum for radiology reporting vendors, attended by 20 vendor representatives. Slide presentations from that meeting are available.
- December 2009: Released the first set of reporting templates, freely available for downloading and use.
Information for Reporting Template Developers
The information below is presented to aid radiologists and others who are developing reporting templates.
- Standard Radiology Report Headings -- These headings outline the major sections of a generic radiology report.
- Report template guidelines -- This page describes the "mark-up language" to be used to describe reporting templates.
- Example reporting template -- Lung nodule CT exam.
- RSNA RadLex radiology vocabulary. Terms in reporting templates will be mapped to RadLex and other controlled vocabularies.
- Synoptic Reporting code site. The College of American Pathologists offers their "Electronic Cancer Checklists" (eCC) using the RELAX-NG language for XML documents.
- Reporting template metadata. These data are used to index entries in the library of reporting templates.
We are constructing a bibliography of structured reporting in radiology.