RSNA Radiology Reporting Initiative
The RSNA has established a Radiology Reporting Committee to identify and promote "best practices" in radiology reporting. The Committee, part of the Radiology Informatics Committee, includes radiologists and imaging informatics experts. The Reporting Committee is closely linked to RSNA's Quality Improvement Committee and RadLex® Steering Committee.
Stay Informed: Joint the RSNA Reporting Forum
If you are interested in receiving periodic updates on the activities of the RSNA Reporting initiative, please join the RSNA Reporting Forum.
Learn What's New at the RSNA 2009 Annual Meeting
The RSNA Reporting committee will be reporting on its progress at the session below. We look forward to seeing you there.
The RSNA Reporting Initiative: Developing a Library of Best-Practices Radiology Report Templates Session #II31 Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:30am-12:00pm McCormick Place, Room S501ABC
You may also be interested in attending these other Reporting-Related Sessions.
- Towards best practices in radiology reporting, a committee position paper
- June 2008: RSNA convened a workshop to plan the future of radiology reporting. More than 50 radiologists, medical informatics specialists, and representatives of cardiology, oncology, and pathology participated. Consensus was reached on a global template for diagnostic radiology reports, including standardized radiology report headings.
- November 2008: In conjunction with the RSNA Quality Improvement Committee, developed a standardized template for documenting communication of critical test results.
- March 2009: Formed 13 subcommittees to create templates for specific clinical areas in collaboration with subspecialty professional organizations.
- May 2009: Conducted an industry forum for radiology reporting vendors, attended by 20 vendor representatives. Slide presentations from that meeting are available.
- December 2009: Released the first set of reporting templates, freely available for downloading and use.
Information for Reporting Template Developers
The information below is presented to aid radiologists and others who are developing reporting templates.
- Standard Radiology Report Headings -- These headings outline the major sections of a generic radiology report.
- Report template guidelines -- This page describes the "mark-up language" to be used to describe reporting templates.
- Example reporting template -- Lung nodule CT exam.
- RSNA RadLex radiology vocabulary. Terms in reporting templates will be mapped to RadLex and other controlled vocabularies.
- Synoptic Reporting code site. We plan to adapt the RELAX-NG coding framework, developed by the College of American Pathologists, for use in radiology reporting.
- Reporting template metadata. These data are used to index entries in the library of reporting templates.
We are constructing a bibliography of structured reporting in radiology.