RSNA Radiology Reporting Initiative
RSNA's Radiology Report Templates
The RSNA Reporting Committee is pleased to announce the availability of more than 200 best-practices radiology report templates. We hope you will take the time to download and review these templates for use in your practice, and to encourage your colleagues to do the same.
Stay Informed: Join the RSNA Reporting Forum Mailing List
If you are interested in receiving periodic updates on the activities of the RSNA Reporting initiative, please join the RSNA Reporting Forum.
- Towards best practices in radiology reporting, a committee position paper
- A brief article in the Quantitative Imaging Biomarkers Alliance (QIBA) Quarterly newsletter
- From guidelines to practice: how reporting templates promote the use of radiology practice guidelines
- June 2008: RSNA convened a workshop to plan the future of radiology reporting. More than 50 radiologists, medical informatics specialists, and representatives of cardiology, oncology, and pathology participated. Consensus was reached on a global template for diagnostic radiology reports, including standardized radiology report headings.
- November 2008: In conjunction with the RSNA Quality Improvement Committee, developed a standardized template for documenting communication of critical test results.
- March 2009: Formed 13 subcommittees to create templates for specific clinical areas in collaboration with subspecialty professional organizations.
- May 2009: Conducted an industry forum for radiology reporting vendors, attended by 20 vendor representatives. Slide presentations from that meeting are available.
- December 2009: Released the first set of reporting templates, freely available for downloading and use.
- October 2010: A proposal to develop a template exchange profile was approved by the Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE). This profile will enable radiologists to download templates from a template library directly into their favorite reporting system. It also will facilitate the vendor independent migration of templates between reporting systems.
- November 2010: RSNA announces the availability of over 100 best-practices radiology report templates, in a beta version of a new searchable report template database.
Technical Resources for Reporting Template Developers
- Standard Radiology Report Headings -- These headings outline the major sections of a generic radiology report.
- RSNA RadLex radiology vocabulary. Terms in reporting templates will be mapped to RadLex and other controlled vocabularies.
- Synoptic Reporting code site. The College of American Pathologists offers their "Electronic Cancer Checklists" (eCC) using the RELAX-NG language for XML documents.
- Reporting template metadata. These data are used to index entries in the library of reporting templates.
We are constructing a bibliography of structured reporting in radiology.